To maintain the sustainability of the existing environmental conditions, we must reduce waste generated from any activity, including construction. Moreover, there are various other advantages of limiting and reusing construction waste, like cost-saving, conservation of natural resources, reduction of carbon emissions, development of ecologically sustainable surroundings, etc. Therefore, waste management and prevention are essential for improving resource efficiency and profitability for any construction project.
The majority of waste is generated on-site due to over-ordering, material damage caused by mistreatment, off-cuts, insufficient material storage, superfluous packaging of building materials, etc. The waste management strategies defer for every construction site and according to the construction phase. To maximize the reduction and reuse of the waste, you should explore the general possible waste prevention measures.
Construction Waste Prevention Measures
- Procuring resource-efficient construction projects: Since all of the contractual agreements signed under any particular construction project impact trash generation, procuring resource-efficient construction projects helps to allocate ownership of waste within the supply chain and limits the construction waste.
- Maximizing reuse of construction materials: This increases the chances of improving waste prevention, reusing waste, and making a project more cost-effective.
- On-site measures: Consider what quantity of material waste will be generated during the project and ensure that waste facilities are adequately available at each construction phase. Avoid creating waste by performing tasks in the proper order. Ensure that the required quantity of waste facilities and storage places are available, placed properly, and easily accessible to the site workers. Also, consider doing a comprehensive site trash audit better to understand the waste statistics before final site clean-up. Most importantly, assign the responsibility of managing excess materials and segregating them for reuse.
- Training the construction workers: All the construction workers, staff, sub-contractors, etc., should be properly trained about managing the materials and preventing waste generation. They should be made aware about the importance of reducing construction waste. These workers should be given plans and strategies to know how to reduce, reuse and recycle at the site. Moreover, the waste management program should be explained to them through proper meetings, coordination and feedback systems. And lastly, the duty of timely monitoring of the waste management plans and the program should be assigned to someone working on-site throughout the project.
- Maintaining the material storage: To prevent materials from deteriorating, ensure safe and harsh weatherproof storage. Materials that have been damaged or squandered as a result of poor storage should be examined and segregated for possible reusing or recycling purposes. Extra attention should be assigned to securing and protecting materials so that it does not get wasted. And lastly, avoid ordering and storing excessive material on-site.
Besides these measures, the generated construction waste can be reused and recycled. You can gather off-cuts and use them first, rather than buying new materials. Repair possible items so they can be reused or returned to the supplier. Also, always consider returning, selling or donating the unused and salvaged materials.
However, construction waste is generated in a certain amount no matter how many preventive steps one takes or reuses and recycles the wasted material. So, having the right trash container is very important.
Advantages of Using Trash Container Services for Construction Projects
Using trash containers is essential because it reduces the exposed piles of debris and waste material lying around on the construction site. This helps in preventing on-site accidents and creates a safer environment for working.
Also, you are able to dump the waste as it is segregated, and the waste can be disposed of more conveniently. Hazardous waste can be kept off the site, which also increases the efficiency and productivity of the workers and staff. Since proper waste disposal is crucial for the environment and the people working on the project, using trash container service is highly recommended.
Big Box Service Will Help You in Managing the Waste
It makes a huge difference by having the correct trash container for disposing of construction waste. BG’s Big Box Service assists you at every step of the process, from determining the appropriate container size for your needs to arranging and delivering your container on the day you need it, as well as a hassle-free and convenient pick-up after the project is over.
We have four sizes and designs of garbage containers to pick from at BG’s Big Box Service, each built for a distinct purpose. Since 1981, we’ve proudly rented over 1,000,000 containers throughout the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, and Ventura Counties. So call us today at 818-504-8116 today to book a delivery or to ask any inquiries regarding our containers.